Searching for a local business on the internet now far outweighs doing a search in the phone book, wouldn’t you agree?
Sure, many offline marketing models are still slightly effective and so are word-of-mouth referrals. But for most people, it’s just easier to search online.
With that being said, it’s now more important than ever for small business owners to consider their presence online; how many reviews they have, how many places customers can actually find them, etc. Otherwise they are going to have a hard time competing the other similar companies in the area that do.
So here are 3 big tips to help you get started today.
1. ) Get on Google
At the very least, small businesses need a Google Local listing. Over 70 percent of local search starts in Google, and the majority of those searchers will see the top three Google listings first which you guessed it, brings them a huge chunk of search.
To get a Google listing, simply go to the Google browser and scroll to the bottom of the search engine where you will see a clickable link labeled ‘Business.” Or simply do a Google search for ‘Google My Business’ and then click get started.
2.) Have a Website That Converts Well
Not all searchers will just use Google to find the information they’re looking for. Many will push past the local results to the organic ones, meaning the list of the ten websites on the first page of the search results, that are listing beneath the local listings and ads.
Many people want more information about a company, their prices, even work history, so you need a website that contains all of this. More importantly, you need:
- A clear, visible phone number at the top of the site
- A contact form for people to request info. through as an alternate method than phone
- A list of services offered, and reviews and testimonials from previous customers always help
3.) Be Listing Where Your Customers Are Searching
If you have ever performed a search for a local service yourself, you may have seen organic listings than include Yelp, Yellowpages, Angie’s List, BBB, Superpages, Thumbtack, etc.
These are all known as third-party directory sites, but matter a lot because they are well-known websites that customers are constantly leaving reviews on, which will definitely matter to people that are considering your services.
With these sites being increasingly important, it’s a good to have your business listed on all of them to kill two birds with one stone. Let me explain.
- Being listing on these sites means that when other people use them for search, your business can be found.
- These websites are so authoritative and popular, not to mention important, that they show up on most first page search results for local services in any location throughout the United States. This gives you twice the chance for people to find your listing on this platform.
Being listing in more places gives people the perception that your business is trustworthy, seeing that it’s listed on all of these trusted websites.
I hope you’re starting to see the bigger picture.